Monday, April 19, 2010

Where's my ruler?

Ok, so I've officially broken the first cardinal rule of blogging. I got busy and completely forgot to blog in the first place. And this is only my second post - what does that about my reliability as a true blogger? OY!

So this brings me to the topic of accountability (which is ironic because my Manager just came over to my desk while I was in the process of typing this to discuss her plan for the 2010-2011 team planning retreat which will be centered on - you guessed it: team accountability). To say that accountability has been something I've struggled with over the years would be an understatement. Accountability seems to be everywhere I turn, and if not, it follows me like a 5 o'clock shadow. Throughout our lives we have parents, teachers, friends, family, jobs, clients/customers, bosses, teammates etc etc etc.. to whom we have to report back to. Being an Aries, I have issues reporting to people, both personally and professionally. I like to do my own thing, on my own terms and I really don't give a &*#% what anyone else thinks. That's just how I roll. Unfortunately for me, the rest of the world tells me to shove-it and report back whether I want to or not. Do I believe accountability is important - OF COURSE - nothing would ever get done otherwise. I am extremely LAZY and if it wasn't for self-accountability I would NEVER accomplish anything. The thought of letting someone you care about (even if it's yourself - wow that sounds egotistical now doesn't it?) down is usually enough to fuel the fire to get you through even the most painstakingly boring/unpleasant tasks.

There's a wooden ruler that sits in my desk drawer as a constant reminder that if I don't get my act together I will get metaphorically smacked on the hands/upside the head (like the good ol' days - yes I went to a school run by nuns and although I come from the generation where hitting students was forbidden - wooden rulers still have that connotation in my mind). Accountability cannot be escaped but if I have to choose who I have to be most accountable to - I say MOI! Everyone else can kiss my ass-et!

No comments:

Post a Comment