Sunday, July 25, 2010

I met a man on the London Eye I Wanted to Kiss! Thank You Losch for Giving Me Faith in Humanity

This blog is going to be a little different from all the others. This blog is about a man and his friend Jill and I met on the London Eye (that giant ferris wheel). The man's name was Losch (forgive the misspelling - it's pronounced Law-shh) and his friend's name was Ulf. Losch was Swedish. I'm not sure about Ulf because Ulf was severely handicapped and deaf and we could not communicate directly with him. We did not get into details about Ulf's condition but I am guessing he suffers from something akin to Muscular Dystrophy or some other form of incredibly debilitating disease that has him more or less paralyzed. He can move his arms VERY little and because sign language is his only method of communication it is VERY difficult for Losch to understand him because Ulf cannot move to make the sign gestures. Losch knows sign language and does his best to communicate with Ulf.


Losch was telling us he's known Ulf for maybe a year and a half now and by the way he treats and takes care of Ulf you would think they were brothers. NEVER have I ever seen anyone be so kind and gentle. You see Ulf was visiting London with some friends and Ulf decided to join them for a day so he flew from Stockholm with a 10 hour layover (I don't remember where) just to come and hang out with them. Speed-tourisming as well. Turns out Ulf's caretaker is afraid of heights to Losch happily volunteered to take Ulf up and give him a view of the entire city of London. Jill and I were just fortunate enough to have been in the same capsule as them. Losch was telling us that he has to use his imagination to figure out what and why Ulf is feeling a certain way because of the difficulties with communication. Ulf understands Losch much more than Losch understands Ulf and one can easily see how much that pains Losch. He wishes he could do more for his friend but feels helpless because he simply doesn't know what's wrong sometimes. For example, that day Ulf was sad. Losch guesses it's because a friend of his had just left, but he can't be sure.

These men are truly inspiring and meeting them filled my heart with so much joy and love and happiness that I just wanted cry. That is what HUMANITY is all about. Just over 1 year they have known each other. Beautiful. We said our goodbyes and when we got off I looked at Jill and said "I want to kiss that man just for being him". She said "People like that confirm that there is a God". It is my most profound hope that Losch and Ulf have nothing but love and happiness in their lives because they touched my life and my heart like noone ever has. I am oh so grateful to have met each them and will NEVER forget the 30 minute London Eye ride that reconfirmed my faith in humanity. Love really does conquer ALL! BLESS THEIR HEARTS!

No comments:

Post a Comment